Developer and Publisher
Hipster Whale Pty Ltd
Founded November 2014
Hipster Whale is an Australian studio founded in 2014 by Matt Hall and Andy Sum.
Hipster Whale’s first release, Crossy Road, has been downloaded more than 130 million times and made $10 million within the first three months of release.
Hipster Whale have since released PAC-MAN 256 in 2015 with Bandai Namco and Disney Crossy Road in 2016 with Disney, on mobile platforms.
In 2015 Hipster Whale won an Apple Design Award for Crossy Road, Studio of the Year at the Australian Game Developer Awards and won the Creative Industries category of The Governor of Victoria Export Awards.
Hipster Whale work from The Arcade in Melbourne, Australia and work closely with Mighty Games, which Hall and Sum co-direct with Matt Ditton and Ben Britten.
Media Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Business Enquiries: email@example.com
Publishing Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Enquiries: email@example.com
71-75 City Rd
Released November 20 2014. Available from the App Store, Amazon, Google Play and the Windows Store.
Languages: English, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese.
Find Crossy Road's press kit here.
Released August 19, 2015. Available from the App Store, Amazon and Google Play.
Pac-Man 256 is an Android and iOS video game in the Pac-Man series. It is inspired by the glitched 256th level of Pac-Man and was made by Hipster Whale and 3 Sprockets and published by Bandai Namco. PAC-MAN 256 is the maze that never ends, but the Glitch is coming for you...
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Russian.
Released 7 April 2016. Available from the App Store, Amazon, Google Play and the Windows Store.
Working with Disney, Hipster Whale created an all-new take on the 8-bit endless adventure to cross the road without splatting!
Tap and swipe your way to a record-setting number of steps with 100+ Disney and Pixar figurines while dodging crazy and unexpected obstacles in the 8-bit worlds of Toy Story, Zootopia, The Lion King, The Haunted Mansion, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and more.
- COLLECT over 100+ Disney and Pixar figurines, including Mickey, Donald, Buzz Lightyear, Rapunzel, Mufasa, Sadness, Wreck-It Ralph, Madame Leota, and other favorites (many with fun surprises)!
- JOURNEY through 8-bit depictions of Al’s Toy Barn, the Pride Lands of Africa, the Haunted Mansion, San Fransokyo, and more while enjoying 8-bit versions of familiar tunes like “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” and “I Just Can’t Wait to be King!”
- MASTER special themed challenges unique to each of the worlds, such as weathering blizzards, collecting cherries to earn special power-ups, avoiding thundering stampedes of wildebeest, staying clear of falling barrels, and then some!
Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Spanish, Swahili, Thai, Turkish.
Awards and Recognition
- Winner, Studio of the Year, 2015 Australian Game Development Awards
- Finalist, Creative Industries Award, 2015 Australian Export Awards
- Apple Design Award (2015)
- Best of 2014 (App Store)
- Best of 2014 (Touch Arcade)
- Best of 2014 iPhone and iPad (The Guardian)
- Best of 2014 Mobile (CNET)
- Best of 2014 Mobile (Venturebeat)
- Best of 2014 Mobile (GSM Arena)
- Best of 2014 Free iOS (Macworld)
- Best of 2014 Free iPhone (App Advice)
- Playlist Selection 2014 (Kill Screen)
- Best Quickplay Game (11th International Mobile Gaming Awards)
- Apple Best Games of 2015
- Facebook The 10 Most Talked About Games of 2015
- The Game Awards 2015 Nominated Best Mobile/Handheld Game
- Hipster Whale’s Matt and Andy lift the lid on Crossy Road development and release at GDC. Read more
- Crossy Road is Free to Play done right. Read more
- Pac-Man 256 Announcement. Read more
- Hipster Whale invest in new indie game company, Prettygreat. Read more
- PSY becomes a playable character in Crossy Road. Read more
- Disney Crossy Road is a clash of the titans. Read more
- Disney Crossy Road review: Magic by collaboration. Read more